Stay Warm, Stay Well
To keep warm and well during spells of cold weather:
- Draw your curtains at dusk and keep your doors closed to block out draughts.
- Have regular hot drinks and eat at least one hot meal a day if possible. Eating regularly helps keep energy levels up during winter.
- Wear several light layers of warm clothes (rather than one chunky layer).
- Keep as active in your home as possible.
- Wrap up warm and wear shoes with a good grip if you need to go outside on cold days.
- If you have reduced mobility, are 65 or over, or have a health condition such as heart or lung disease, you should heat your home to at least 18C and make sure you wear enough clothes to stay warm. It’s a good idea to keep your bedroom at this temperature all night.
- If you’re under 65 and healthy, you can safely have your house cooler than 18C, if you’re comfortable.
- Get financial advice. There may be extra funding available, depending on your circumstances, to make sure you can keep your house warm during winter.