Clinical Commissioning Policies
To make sure that NHS Blackpool Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is able to make the best care available for most people, it’s vital we make every penny count.
We must support and pay for treatments that have the greatest benefit not only for individuals but also for our community as whole. Some treatments cannot be justified as there is little evidence to say they improve health. There is a limited pot of money and some hard choices have to be made.
Local doctors and other health professionals have been working hard to produce a list of treatments that have little or no health benefit.
For some procedures, there are criteria in place which need to be met before the NHS will consider making funding available e.g. removal of tonsils.
General Commissioning Policies
- Lancashire Commissioning Policy Introduction Document
- General Policy for Individual Funding Request Decision Making
- Statement of Principles
- Policy for Considering Applications to Make Exceptions or to Waive Commissioning Policies
- Individual Funding Request Form – (If you would like an electronic version of this form then please contact Jon Nelson – 01253 951232 or Janet Palmer – 01253 951233 or email: BLCCG.IFR@nhs.net)
Clinical Commissioning Policies
- Assisted Conception – (under review)
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid and lower lid surgery)
- Body Contouring (surgery following significant weight loss)
- Breast Augmentation Policy
- Breast Mastopexy
- Breast Reduction
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies Policy
- Dilatation and Curettage /Hysteroscopy – (under review)
- Endoscopic Procedures on the Knee Joint Cavity (BCCG V1.1 PL v6)
- Functional Electrical Stimulation for Foot drop of Central Neurological Origin – (under review)
- Face and Brow Lift
- Gender Dyshoria protocol and service guidance (interim) – Guidance only
- Grommets in Children
- Hair Depilation*
- Hair Loss (Correction)*
- Hip Arthroscopy – (under review)
- Hysterectomy (Excision of Uterus)*
- Insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring devices for patients with diabetes – (under review)
- Laser Eye Surgery (to correct refractive error)
- Lumbar Spine Commissioning Policy
- Male Circumcision (BCCG V1.1 PL v4)
- Pinnaplasty (Ear Correction)
- Reversal of Sterilisation in Males and Females*
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Re-shaping)
- Skin Lesions
- Spinal Cord Stimulation*
- Surgical Release of Trigger Finger (BCCG V1.1 PL v5)
- Surgical Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (BCCG 1.1 PL V5 )
- Tattoo Removal*
- Tonsillectomy Adeno-Tonsillectomy (BCCG V1.1 PL V8)
- Varicose Veins
* Also see Lancashire Principles for the Commissioning of Health and Healthcare (above)
For policies listed as under review the policies on this page are the current policies. The draft policies that will eventually replace these can be found on our ‘Under review‘ page along with details of how to provide your thoughts on them.
It is important to remember that while the NHS is not likely to provide treatment that has little health benefit, there are sometimes exceptional circumstances in which there may be overwhelming health benefits for an individual patient.
In these cases, applications can be made to Blackpool CCG to determine whether or not there are exceptional clinical reasons which would mean that NHS funding should be made available. GPs are usually in the best position to explain the clinical circumstances of an individual.
Blackpool CCG has a panel of professionals whose job it is to decide whether funding will be made available for an individual. The CCG has a clear policy that ensures the consideration of requests is consistent, transparent and is a fair process for all.
If the CCG decides not to fund a drug or treatment, the decision will be explained to the individual. There is also an appeals process which includes clearly defined grounds for appeal and is independent of the original process.
If you would like further information on Clinical Commissioning Policies or the process for making an application for NHS funding on exceptional grounds then please contact Jon Nelson on 01253 951232 who will be happy to help you.