Medicines play an important part in promoting well-being, preventing ill-health and managing disease. Over 700 million prescription items are dispensed in England each year with a cost approaching £8billion.
Medicines Management can be defined in several ways:
- The clinical, cost-effective, safe and secure handling of medicines
- A system of processes and behaviours that determines how medicines are used by the NHS and patients
- Enabling people to make the best possible use of medicines
Our goal is to achieve the best health outcomes for patients where medicines are involved.
If you have any medicines queries please contact NHS Blackpool CCG’s Medicines Management team on 01253 951306 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see the links below for background information on the Red, Amber, Green (RAG) classification in relation to prescribing responsibility and also our RAG list of drugs.
Prescribing Position Statements:
- Prophylactic Supply of catheters post pelvic organ prolapse
- Sip Feeds
- Gluten-Free Foodstuffs
- Emollients and Sunscreens
- Pregabalin Prescribing
- Zero Risk Schemes in advance of NICE Guidance
- Health Professionals e cigarettes briefing Blackpool Council – Blackpool CCG supports the position of Blackpool Council on e-cigarettes and advises GPs not to prescribe until further guidance is available. Patients who require support for smoking cessation may be referred to the Stop Smoking Service.
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Prescribing for Clinical Need – ONS in care and nursing homes
- Prescribing for Clinical Need – Thickeners