All commissioners and providers of NHS services are required to put in place arrangements to tackle fraud, bribery and corruption, and this is undertaken by Blackpool CCG’s nominated Anti-Fraud Specialist (AFS), Darrell Davies, together with the Anti-Fraud Team at Mersey Internal Audit Agency (MIAA). The CCG’s Chief Finance Officer, Andrew Harrison, oversees the anti-fraud arrangements for the CCG.
What is Fraud, Bribery and Corruption?
Fraud against the NHS is not a victimless crime – it diverts much needed public funds into fraudsters’ pockets and it needs to be stamped out. Some people are not aware that fraud is a problem for the NHS, or even know what fraud is or how it is committed.
Some examples of NHS fraud and corruption are as follows:
- NHS staff dishonestly working in another job when they are off sick.
- NHS staff making false and inflated expenses, mileage claims, or timesheet claims.
- NHS staff procuring goods and services for personal gain; such as ordering IT equipment or printer cartridges, then keeping for their own use, or selling on the internet or at car boot sales.
- Job applicants failing to disclose criminal convictions, or providing false documentation such as qualifications, passports, and Home Office documents, in order to gain NHS employment.
- Patients claiming free treatment and services when not entitled, such as prescriptions/glasses/dental treatment; or ‘Health Tourists’ providing false personal details in order to gain hospital treatment.
- Contractors and suppliers to the NHS submitting false invoices for work they have not done, or submitting duplicate invoices for payment.
How can I help to fight fraud against the NHS?
You can help to reduce NHS fraud, bribery and corruption by reporting any suspicions against the CCG or in the wider NHS, via any of the official reporting channels below. Referrals will be assessed and appropriately dealt with by professionals, and you can provide information in confidence, or remain anonymous.
Report your concerns to:
Anti-Fraud Specialist: Darrell Davies
Tel: 0151 285 45000
CCG Chief Finance Officer: Andrew Harrison
Tel: 01253 956440
NHS Fraud and Corruption Reporting Line: 0800 028 4060
For more information about the online Reporting Tool please click here.
For more information on the Anti-Bribery and Corruption Initiative please click here.
To view the CCG’s Anti-Fraud Annual Report 2015/16 please Click here